5 Bodyshaming Statements/Questions that are Permanently in my Cache Memory

 Nowadays, everyone's talking about body positivity. When you do not have an average body, it's quite difficult to keep up with body positivity.

Here are 5 frequent statements or questions that I encounter in my day-to-day life, being an underweight girl.

ONE:

"How old are you?"

There's a lot of stereotypes in society regarding body size vs. age. In my personal experience, I've been called, treated and categorized as a twelve year old, when I'm actually sixteen. 

It is pretty annoying when you go to some place that's new to you, and literally everyone is like, how old are you, are you in secondary school, blah, blah, blah! (Thin+short girls - relate to me!)

There are even some who continue to tell things like, "Really? I thought you were twelve," or something.

TWO:

"How much do you weigh?"

There are multiple reasons for asking this question. Some ask out of pure curiosity, but there are also others who ask this to roast you alive - because they know that it's quite low.

Curious or not, it's so rude ask a question like that from someone who looks to be overweight/underweight. To a person trying to keep up with the average body size, weight is an ultra-personal matter. It's not anyone's business to ask about it.

THREE:

"OMG! You're so thin!"

Like I haven't noticed. *Snorts*

This is so far the most frequently used exclamations used by those who see me. Urgh.

Í know I am thin.
I know I am thin.
I know I am small.
I know I should gain weight.

AND THAT'S ENTIRELY MY BUSINESS AND I DON'T WANT PEOPLE TO TELL ME WHAT I ALREADY KNOW!!!

 I wish people would learn to hold their tongues.

FOUR:

"Can you lift it?"

wffJQ Q Ajdaifbiqbdk919t4&(Tqe99qi98e9;hr9dd8wppqf82ytr03374bdfhufuoaougsikb    UDIKNBII!!!

(Gibberish because the string of words that should be there aren't what my parents would allow me to use in public.)

I am thin.
I am small.
I am underweight.

BUT THAT DOESN'T MEAN THAT I CAN'T LIFT A ****** THING LIKE A CHAIR OR A SUITCASE!!

Guys,  I'm not powerless. I'm only underweight.

FIVE:

"Why are you so tiny?"

Dude, if I knew the answer to that, wouldn't I be working my way out of it?

I am tiny because I'M tiny and I'm MEANT to be tiny! Whoever that cannot understand this can shut their mouths.




Through the past few years I've struggled with the theory of having the perfect body. In the society in which I used to be, body positivity was not a thing and people didn't really understand that fatshaming isn't the only thing about bodyshaming.


As y'all noticed, I lost my temper quite some time while writing this. For those who think that they know me but actually don't, here's what I want to do to those who call me thin:









What I really wanted to say through this is to respect each other and treat everyone equally. Let's eradicate bodyshaming!

*FYI: Cache memory is where frequently used data are stored in a computer.




Comments

Popular Posts